Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Liver enzymes...

So, Dr. S. got back with me about my out-of-normal-range liver enzymes and what he  had to say was quite interesting.  It seems that they were within normal range when tested before I started Optifast and have gotten out of kilter only since being on the fast.  He stated that it is nothing to worry about because when you are fasting and losing weight, it mobilizes the (unhealthy) fat that has been stored in the liver, pushing it out to be expelled.  This is a good thing.  However, a side effect of this happening is the activation of all these enzymes and their getting overstimulated for a while.  When the process of clearing the fat in the liver slows down, the enzyme levels should improve on my labs.

Whew!  So, this is good news!

The hypochondriac in me is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment