Thursday, May 31, 2012

The first drink...

Last night I went to my first group meeting where there were five people who had been on the program for various amounts of time (two of whom were getting ready to transition to Phase II) and three of us who were starting the actual program today.  Although I have always been a bit hesitant about group therapy sessions, tending to be the quiet one who sits in the corner not speaking, I really enjoyed this one, feeling comfortable and very welcome.

Talking to everyone, it seems there are a wide range of experiences.  Some report no problems with feeling hungry, saying the Optifast meals completely satisfy them; others say they have been hungry throughout the program, but continue to stick with it.  Likewise, you are not expected or coerced into telling your weight loss, but everyone was quite open with their success stories, with some people having lost almost 20 pounds in two weeks and another who was getting ready to transition and had lost almost 50 pounds.  Others have different stories, some not having lost quite as much, but everyone is seeing downward movement on the scale. 

I, for one, have a scale at home, but have resolved to not use it.  Unlike in other diets, where I weighed myself daily, I am going to take this experience week by week and weigh in only on Wednesday evenings before meeting.  No more daily weight obsession!  I am hoping that changes in my clothing will begin to show me that I am succeeding without the need for the scale.

This morning, as I write this, I have had my first Optifast meal replacement - a strawberry "shake."  It was one of the pre-mixed, boxed variety, as I am all about convenience.  I will admit, it was gross and had me gagging after the first sip, but I did manage to get it down (albeit by holding my nose and chugging at one point).  Prior to tasting it, I wondered if the small 8oz box would be enough to sustain me until my next meal; after tasting it, I have to admit I was happy to not have a larger serving!  In a few hours I will have lunch, which will be another shake (this time chocolate) and a bar.  I am really hoping the chocolate is better!  Right now, the way my plan is set up, I will have two strawberry shakes and two chocolate shakes per day, along with two bars and one soup....don't worry, I'll let you know how everything tastes!

I am hoping that, like in the past, my taste changes as my taste buds "forget" the true sweetness of sugar and processed foods and become more accepting of these new, Optifast replacements.  Otherwise, this is going to be a long 12-16 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Never forget the big picture: It's not just the pounds lost. You will see inches fall off as well. My weight loss has been so slow, but by God the inches are just sliding off! Also, be on the lookout for your overall health improving. Such a wonderful benefit. Keep your eyes on the prize: a healthy you for the long-term. And dammit, hide that scale!! ;)

    ReplyDelete